Rada Cutlery is an American company (based in Waverly, Iowa) that has been manufacturing cutlery since 1948. That means they have almost 7 decades worth of experience! Below are some interesting facts I found about Rada:
- Lifetime Guarantee – While browsing their website, I noticed they offer a lifetime guarantee on ALL their products (stoneware, and various kitchen utensils and knives). This sort of confidence and commitment to the quality of their products should be an example for every company and brand out there. As a consumer, I will be much more happier and comfortable buying from a company that offers lifetime support versus one that offers 1-2 years. Kudos to Rada for this!
- Solid Company That Is Actually Human! – Continuing my research on Rada led me to a video which made me like the company a heck of a lot more! Below is a factory tour video showing you a behind the scenes with Rada employees being interviewed while at work. After watching the video, you quickly realize how much these people love what they do and who they do it for. How many times have you seen the bigger brands showing and interviewing their employees at work? Hardly ever!
- Price & Lifetime Guarantee – Already touched on this above, but felt it needed to be mentioned again and listed as a pro. Not only is the Rada knife sharpener affordable (click here to check latest pricing on amazon), but it also features a lifetime guarantee. This also makes it one of the cheapest products I have reviewed on myelectricknifesharpener.com
- Gentle Abrasive – Using a gentle abrasive (in this case hardened steel) means less metal stripped from your blade. This is good because we don’t want to remove more metal than required (remember: once the metal is removed, it’s gone!). Using the Rada knife sharpener is in some ways similar to using a honing rod, with the exception that a honing rod only realigns the edge without removing metal.
- Easy To Use – As is the case with mostly all pull throughs, the Rada knife sharpener is straightforward and easy to use. You simply pull the blade through the steel wheels, allowing the weight of the blade to apply slight pressure and run through.
- Portable & Small Making Storage Easy – Measuring 3.5” in length and 2” in height, the Rada knife sharpener takes up very little space thus making storage simple and easy. This becomes a particularly important factor for those who wish to carry the device when going hunting, camping or fishing.
- Unsupported Base – One way to drastically improve the design of the Rada knife sharpener is to have a sturdy, firm base. What do I mean by this? The current setup has a black nylon base which tends to cause the device to slide/slip around if not held down with enough pressure when being used. This can be rectified by placing the product on a washing cloth so it’s less likely to wobble. If Rada was looking for a way to improve this system, they could add 2 suction cups so that the base is better supported. A small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless!
- Thicker Blade Styles – While it works well on thin blades, the Rada knife sharpener falls short for the thicker blades. As I always say, understand your tool before working on it! Then decide which device will suit your needs.
FINAL WORDS: FOOL PROOF, CHEAP, AND PORTABLE ARE THE THREE WORDS THAT DESCRIBE THIS PRODUCT. IF YOU WILL BE WORKING ON THIN BLADES, THEN YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER GETTING THIS.