Who/What is AccuSharp? AccuSharp is a product line/brand that was found by a company called Fortune Products Inc. Here are some fun facts:
- Manufacturing Sharpeners Since 1984 – According to their website, the AccuSharp line was first introduced in 1984. They boast more than 3 decades worth of experience in the industry.
- Made In The USA – Another company that operates and manufactures their products in the USA.
- Recognition – In 2014 they won gold for their pull through style sharpener. The award was presented to them by the International Housewares Association (IHA).
- Reasonably Priced & Backed For Life! – Pretty cheap in my opinion. Click here to check out latest pricing on amazon. The cheap price coupled with the fact that you get a lifetime warranty make this a definite pro as far as I’m concerned. From the many products I’ve reviewed so far, only a few cost around this much and give you a lifetime guarantee. If you encountered any issues with the device, you would simply send (postage and handling to be paid by you) it to their location in Texas so they can either repair or replace.
- Easy To Use, Safe, Ergonomic Design – When you see the AccuSharp knife sharpener in action, you realize it isn’t much different from a pull through style. If you’re unfamiliar with the term “pull through”, all you need to know is this: It’s designed for you to pull your blade from heel to tip against an abrasive. This isn’t much different because essentially you’re applying the same swiping motion as you would with a pull through. The finger guard strap ensures you don’t cut yourself when swiping your blade!
- Easy Storage – Because of how small it is, the AccuSharp knife sharpener is easy to store and carry on the go. Unlike some of the bulky heavy electric variations, this is small enough to throw in your backpack, toolbox, kitchen drawer, and even your car glove box. It’s an ideal product to carry when going hunting, camping and fishing. The fact that the abrasives aren’t completely exposed like some other designs, means you don’t have to worry about it getting damaged or worn while in your backpack or with the rest of your tools.
- Versatile – Here’s where the AccuSharp knife sharpener trumps other pull throughs in my opinion. Its swiping motion makes it feel natural and easy when working on longer blades and tools. Try working on a longer blade or tool (machete) with a pull through and you’ll see what I mean (it’s awkward and doesn’t feel right!). This particular feature makes the AccuSharp much more versatile, as you could use it to work on a number of different blades and tools.
- Durable – A sturdy, solid design built with durable materials. The tons of positive reviews online are testament to the quality and durability of this system.
- Quick Results – For anyone who doesn’t care to learn about the art of sharpening, this is about as quick and easy as it gets. Not everyone is interested in learning and applying the technique of using a stone to put an edge on blades, so they look for quicker, simpler solutions such as the AccuSharp knife sharpener. The results are phenomenal especially considering how little time you need to invest to get a razor sharp edge. The company’s slogan is “Get Out Of The Stone Age”. This made me chuckle a little!
- Edge Angle – Here’s something you definitely need to consider before buying! The AccuSharp knife sharpener has abrasives set at an angle of 20-21 degrees on each side. If you own a Western (European/American) style blade such as Wusthof, Messermeister, or Henckels, then you have no problem as these are ground to a 20-22 degree edge angle. However, if you own a 15 degree Asian blade this poses some problems since the AccuSharp can’t work at 15 degrees. Read more about edge angles here.
- Chisel Edges – The AccuSharp knife sharpener will not work on chisel style blades. Since chisel edges are ground on one side only, they require only the one side to be worked on. You can’t do one sided sharpening with this product.
FINAL WORDS: A CHEAP SYSTEM THAT IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST EASIEST I’VE COME ACROSS! IT’S ALSO INCREDIBLY VERSATILE AND CAN BE USED ON A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT TOOLS. THE ONLY TIME I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE ACCUSHARP KNIFE SHARPENER IS IF YOU’RE WORKING ON ASIAN BLADES (SEE ABOVE).
There are no reviews yet.