Never heard of AGPtek? I don’t blame you because neither have I (until now). A quick google search reveals that AGPtek sells a variety of products: bottle cutters, mp3 players, laptop accessories etc. Their website and Facebook page suggests they are based in Brooklyn New York. Here’s an interesting fact:
- Chinese Copy? – This is where things start to get real interesting! When doing some more research on AGPtek, I came across several manufacturers online who all carry and sell the same product. RioRand is one example, Goplus is another. So what does this all mean? It means that the AGPtek knife sharpener along with all the other variations are a copy of the patented Edge Pro Apex system. This is based on the 2 hours I spent trying to find out why the heck there are so many of the same!
- Price – I’ll be honest here and tell you that it was difficult to come up with anything nice to say about the AGPtek knife sharpener. I am usually pretty generous when I write these pros and cons, and I like to take everything into consideration. Having said that, the price is probably one of the brightest selling point this product has going for it. Click here to check out latest pricing on amazon. It’s a fraction of what you would pay for the original Edge Pro.
- System – The system in and of itself (minus the stones) is not too bad at all. Whoever designed this copy/replica has done a pretty good job actually. The stones that come included however are of low quality and tend to separate from the back pretty easily. Many people are buying a better set of quality stones and have had some very good results with them on this replica system. These are people who don’t wish to invest in the costly Edge Pro original. Below is a video demonstrating the product (credit to thenextarcher).
- Use & Setup – If you’ve seen the video above, you would notice that the AGPtek knife sharpener isn’t exactly easy to setup. It isn’t all that easy to use either. To make matters worse, some people have complained that they’ve had difficulty getting the suction cups to stick. It is important to keep in mind that when I say this isn’t easy to use, I say so relative to other competing products (like pull throughs for example). Getting results from this product requires time, patience, and lots of practice!
- Poor Quality Stones – I already touched on this previously. You will want to strongly consider purchasing better quality stones if you’re planning on getting this system.
FINAL WORDS: IF YOU’RE WILLING TO CONSIDER AND WORK WITH ALL THE CONS ABOVE I.E. BUY NEW STONES, PRACTICE, AND BE WILLING TO MAKE FIXES (SUCTION CUP AND OTHERS), THEN AND ONLY THEN SHOULD YOU CONSIDER GETTING THIS! SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL IN GETTING SOLID RESULTS, AND SOME HAVE NOT.