***2017/18 Update: Product Is Currently Unavailable***
Made In Japan by a company known as Yoshida Metal Industry, the GSS-01 has become a popular accessory to chefs, hunters and campers alike. Its sleek, elegant silver design makes it a perfect kitchen accessory. But when it comes down to performance, how does the Global speed sharpener stack up against the competition? Below is what I like and dislike about this product.
Pros – First The Positives!
- Foolproof Pull Through Design – Pull through sharpeners have become everyone’s cup of tea! They’re hugely popular with consumers who want quick and easy results; People who don’t care to know about the technical aspects of knife sharpening. Just give me something that’s simple enough to use, and I’m happy! Well, the Global speed sharpener is exactly that. It’s single stage pull or swipe through design is foolproof. Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Place the device on a flat sturdy surface and hold down so it doesn’t slip.
Step 2: Start by placing the knife heel into the ceramic sharpening slot.
Step 3: Slowly pull the knife towards you, thereby sharpening from heel to tip.
Step 4: Tilt/Pull your knife upward to allow for complete sharpening of a curved tip. Ignore this step if your blade tip is not curved.
Step 5: Repeat for 4 total passes. Check your blade and make more passes as required.
- Small & Sleek – One of my favorite things about the GSS-01 is it’s small stylish design. It’s not often you find a combination of both portable and stylish when talking about sharpeners. Chefs and home cooks love this because it blends in well with the rest of the stainless appliances and cutlery in the kitchen. Campers and hunters love it because it’s small enough to throw in their pockets!
- Reasonably Priced & Would Make An Awesome Christmas Gift!
- Great For Quick Touch Ups – The Global speed sharpener is perfect for quick touch ups. This is the sort of tool I’d carry with me at ALL times. In fact it would be a good idea to have one stashed in your car glove box. And when you’re out of your house camping or preparing a meal at a friends place, a couple of passes on this will give your edge enough bite to complete the task.
Cons – Now For The Negatives!
- Instructions Aren’t In English – The instructions that come included with the Global speed sharpener are all in Japanese. Considering how easy it is to use anyway, this doesn’t bother me too much.
- Not Sturdy When Sharpening – You have to hold down firmly whenever you use this product, and not doing so could result in slippage when sharpening. One thing that works for me which you could do also, is place the device on a soft towel or rubber mat, so it’s less likely to slip during use.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: Should you use this device to sharpen serrations?
Answer: I would not use this to work on serrated blades. Serrations are a special case that require care and patience. Click here to learn more.
Question: How frequently should I use this? Should I be using this before I use my knife for something?
Answer: Absolutely not! You should be honing more and sharpening less. Click here to read more about honing. Only use this tool when honing with a steel does not realign your edge any longer.
I think the GSS-01 is a good tool to have handy while on the go. It also makes for a good display on kitchen counter tops. My biggest concern is that there is no product support from the manufacturer since the product looks like it has been discontinued. As an alternative, you may want to consider this device instead.